Motorsport Celebrating the heroes of motorsport. The Autosport awards 2011 – exclusive review
Castrol EDGE was proud to sponsor the biggest night in the motorsport calendar – the Autosport Awards 2011. And what an amazing night it was, with all the biggest names in motorsport gathered to celebrate the achievements of all the drivers and teams over the year. From current heroes Sebastian Vettel, Jenson Button and Dario Franchitti, to racing legends Damon Hill, Tony Brooks, Ari Vatanen and Carlos Sainz.
"The Autosport Awards are the most prestigious awards ceremony in motorsport and the perfect climax to the season."Formula 1 Champion Johnny Herbert
Recently we held a competition giving you the chance to win an all expenses paid trip to the awards. The winners enjoyed an incredible trip to London and spent the evening up close with some of their motor racing heroes. You can also now share their experiences through our video highlights of the event above – exclusive to Castrol EDGE.
Vettel does the double
Formula 1 World Champion Sebastian Vettel ended an outstanding season by winning two major prizes at the 2011 Autosport Awards in association with Castrol EDGE. Not only did the German ace receive his trophy for ending 2011 top of the Castrol EDGE Rankings, he also joined motorsport greats Ayrton Senna, Nigel Mansell and Michael Schumacher in winning the International Racing Driver of the Year award for a second year in a row.
Sebastian Loeb who finished the year ninth in the Castrol EDGE Rankings after winning his eighth consecutive World Rally Championship, was named International Rally Driver of the Year, whilst the Castrol EDGE backed Mini John Cooper Works picked up the Rally Car of the Year. There was also silverware for Jenson Button, who lies third in the Rankings after an outstanding season in the Formula 1 World Championships as he scooped up the British Competition Driver of the Year award.
Winners and Categories
- International Racing Driver of the Year – Sebastian Vettel
- Racing Car of the Year – Red Bull RB7
- International Rally Driver of the Year – Sebastien Loeb
- Rally Car of the Year – Mini WRC
- British Competition Driver of the Year – Jenson Button
- British Club Driver of the year – Alex Lynn
- National Driver of the year – Matt Neal
- Rookie of the year – Paul di Resta
- John Bolster Award – Giam Paolo Dallara
- Pioneering & Innovation – ‘Senna’ the movie
- Gregor Grant Award – Dan Wheldon & Damon Hill